Thursday, August 20, 2009

this scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin.

i've been in a strange place. i can hardly believe it's been a month since i've written. on most days i find lying in bed with headphones on watching Mad Men. the show is sensual and melancholy, and it's perfect for me to lose myself in for an hour.

most other times my mind seems to be carrying on without me and i've been doing unconventional things to make me feel more alive. sometimes when i drive to work i scream in the car with the windows down. i wish i was kidding. the neighborhood probably goes awry hearing the mysterious screams come through their windows in my passing at two in the morning. on monday night i rolled down the windows and cried for my entire drive. the next day i sang with the windows up. some nights i merely drive in silence, which suffices. i feel much better than i had two weeks ago, and although some days i can hardly contain my sadness, on other days my emotions are at rest and i can dance about in my underwear and blissfully eat fruit snacks until lover comes home. i'm at peace with this idea, because when my emotions are at an unrest, i feel that it is happening for a perfectly good reason: when i become unsettled and unhappy, it usually means there is change coming about. frankly, if the only change was the seasons transitioning from summer to fall i would be perfectly content. sometimes i can hardly focus on work because i just want fresh air, and the sky.

i've felt so distraught because i think i can feel when a situation in my life is not permanent, but still i cannot seem to predict the end of it. i know this will not last forever, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel yet, only darkness. while traveling through a tunnel it starts out in the light, and with sadness you watch your surroundings blacken. you forget you're moving at all there in the dark, and get caught up in the idea that the only light that exists is only behind you now, and cannot understand that while travelling through the tunnel, looking behind you to find the light becomes the wrong direction... the light will only appear ahead. but the light behind me is all i've known.

i still dream of strangers, and a city i've never seen. i know my life will amount to something bigger, it just isn't the time now. and if years from now i was terribly mistaken, and my life has amounted to nothing... i simply will fly off the handle, sell everything i own in a yard sale, and move away.

if life chooses to leave me behind i will simply have to get ahead of it.

4 comments:

Bri said...

I sit in darkness sometimes too. I make girls with life and character to bring light. If everything else falls apart, I have them. I panic sometimes. Wake up at 2am feeling like my happiness will fade and like I'll never be able to reclaim it.

tangerine: said...

@ i make eye candy

i've been panicking too. i feel like everything is ending before it has the chance to begin at all.
some days i feel weightless, and other days i feel consumed by everything.

the girls are so beautiful and have such individuality. i admire that your creative outlet. i will buy one of your paintings one day, if they are ever for sale! i adored your 12 girls installation.

Lion-ess said...

I check your blog everyday wondering if you have shaken off those feelings and how you are doing. Glad that you're back.
A creative outlet will help bring you through the tunnel. That's why I'm blogging and writing. I get like that alot especially for this past yr... but the light is at the tunnel.

I think that you need a holiday. A friend of mines is going travelling for 8 months to Central and South America. Maybe, take a one month or two months off... to Europe maybe. Take a break from your routine.

All in all, it's good to read what you have to say. Plus, I read your mom's blog and it was nice that you guys went to the seaside. When I read it, instantly I wanted to go to the seaside and I did. It was wonderful! One of the best days I've had in a long time (my bday). The ocean and the sea have a way of ministering to you.

Stay strong!

Nana said...

Hey, the great thing about blogging is this: it's like keeping a diary, except you get comments and they make you feel less lonely, other people feel the way you do.Your life will be as big as your vision. Set a goal, in fact, set a hundred goals and keep working towards them, but remember to apreciate the 'now' as well.
The last time i cried, it was because i missed my life with my ex and his daughter, i know ill never get that back. It felt like all i want is to go home, but they were my home. Im stranded without the love, the support, the bliss of watching Lexy grow. I cant tell you what I'd do to get one more night with him, the 'him' that loved and trusted me, the 'him' that didn't hurt nor lie to me... But it's done. Life has moved on, I need to follow its pace.
The sadness, i know it too, but at this point, it feels like a family member. One that isnt welcome, that visits sometimes but that you don't particularly like. It's familiar, there's a quality and depth to it. But all things pass.